Get Fit

Monday, April 25, 2011

When You're Afraid

One of my co-workers walked up to me last week and said "I want to lose weight, but I'm afraid."

My automatic response was "Afraid of what?'

Her reply was "I'll fail, I like bread too much."

She's a carb addict and that's okay.  Sometimes fear is an indication of needing more information.  Bread is not necessarily the enemy here.  It's the overly processed stuff that deserves the bad rap. My advice was simple, find a better bread.  Pepperidge Farms 15 grain bread, has a lot of calories but it also has a lot of fiber, it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it and is more satisfying than plain old white bread.  There's also a brand of bread called Healthy Life with no high fructose corn syrup and has many forms, from 35 calorie to sugar free to high fiber content and everything in between.  If you can't find a bread you like in the Healthy Life bread line you're not really serious about weight loss.

It's okay too, to indulge in a pastry or pie or cookie every once in a while. I ate mashed potatoes this weekend.  I'm not the food police, enjoy what you like, in moderation.

If you find yourself afraid, ask yourself what it is you're afraid of?  Do you need more information?  If so, research it, ask questions.  Don't live in fear.  It's better to try to defeat your fear than let it rule your life.

No comments: