Get Fit

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Waxing Nostalgic

I lost a friend this past week.  I had just found him, rather he found me, on Facebook a month or so ago and now he's gone on to heaven.  I avoided the last highschool reunion becuase I was ashamed of how muchweight I'd gained.  There.  I said it.  I hid myself from the people who know and love me best outside of my family.  No one should have to live like that.

It was sooo good to see and talk to people I haven't seen in years, my fault for hiding.  I'm not hiding anymore.

I miss my friends and family.  We're not getting any younger, let's stop being strangers.

Something else I miss is my still AWOL measuring tape.  What gives?

okay.okay.  It's a weightloss/lifestyle change blog so I'll switch gears, even though I do want to go on and on about how much I miss everyone just to make sure I drive home just how much I've missed everyone and drive you all away lol!

I'm having a terrible time with healthier versions of Thanksgiving favorites.  I've found better solutions to some things, pecan pie is not one of them.  I've been turned off to artificial sweeteners in cakes and breads.  In fact I gagged on a delicious looking piece of pumpkin bread and banana bread in the past 24 hours simply because it was 'sweetened' with splenda.  Holy smokes are you trying to kill everyone in the store!?!?!?

Don't  not use sugar, use less of it, lower the amount of oil in the recipe, use unsweetened applesauce in place of oil.  Use agave or honey in place of sugar, use egg substitute if you're worried about cholesterol.  You should be worried about using ARTIFICIAL read FAKE sugar in your foods.  They cause all kinds of harmful side effects from cancer to insatiable hunger to migraines.  You're putting CHEMICALS in your body.  They arent' natural.  They're BAD for you..

Sorry, digressing...

so far Thanksgiving dinner line up is a s follows

Baked turkey

Couscous/apple/walnut dressing

Mashed cauliflower (instead of taters)

Savory (Herbed) Vegetable broth gravy

Shells n cheese (for the kids)

Pumpkin Pecan cheesecake (hah! it's made with tofu!)
Chocolate Cake (Unbleached whole grain flour,tofu, wheat bran wheat germ and ground flaxseed!)
Sweet tater casserole (sweetened with applesauce, bananas, raisins, pineapples, and agave)
Turnip Greens
Soup Beans
Baked Acorn Squash
Fried Okra (For the rest of the family)

Seems turkey has been given the bum wrap of late. It isn't the culprit in post Thanksgiving dinner nappiness, it's the heavy carb laden sides that are the guilty party.  CARBS MAKE YOU SLEEPY!

The avergae person will consume a staggering 4500, that is four thousand five hundred calories on Thanksgiving Day.  My stomach  protested when I saw that number.  it said "No way! Nuh uh!  you're not eating that much!"  and I probably won't.

I look forward to the holidays.  I love the sights, smells, and sounds. All the hustle and bustle.  I love to bake and give homemade goodies away.  This year is bitterweet because my mom is in the nursing home. Again.  Trying to recover from a broken leg.  I think we'll either figure out a way to kidnap her from the nursing home or smuggle a Thanksgiving feast in to her room. Cue the Mission Impossible theme music......


.

No comments: